An exciting and unique opportunity to acquire extensive freehold offices and land adjacent to Lincoln cathedral
Edward King House is a Grade II* listed building built upon the Medieval foundations of the remains of the Bishop’s Palace, most recently used as a Diocesan Retreat and Conference Centre and Diocesan offices. The earliest part of the property forming the south west corner of the Palace dates from 1727, but was remodelled in Gothic Revival style in 1866. The adjoining chapel dates from 1898 in Decorated style and is situated above the service rooms of the adjoining Bishop’s Palace, a mid twentieth century addition to the south. The accommodation is principally arranged over ground, first and second floors with part basement and third floors comprising a single room within the front tower section. The oldest part of the property is of stone construction with crenellated parapets beneath pitched slate covered roofs. The mid twentieth century addition to the south is of three storey stone with gabled mansard slate roofs. To the north is a more recent addition dating from the mid-1960’s of dressed stone construction beneath a flat roof. The main entrance to the property at the front accessed from the car park is via a projecting porch with parapet and arched doorway leading to the ground floor reception off which is situated an administration office and large meeting room with bay window overlooking the lawned garden to the rear. The remaining ground floor accommodation comprises mostly cellular office accommodation off a connecting corridor but includes some larger grand rooms, together with an open plan office to the rear within the 1960’s section. The first floor comprises a similar arrangement of cellular offices, together with more open plan rooms including a large conference/meeting room with bay window. There is also a large kitchen on the first floor. The second floor comprises a series of cellular rooms, the southern rooms of which have previously been occupied as en-suite bedroom accommodation, now mostly utilised as offices. The property retains many of its original features including panelled stairwell with early 18th century cantilever dogleg stair with decorated string and turned balusters. There are a number of original fireplaces and bay windows with mullions and transoms. Within the front tower there is a single room on the third floor accessed via a narrow stone spiral staircase. There is a part basement level comprising an office/library together with a number of store rooms. To the front of Edward King House is a driveway and turning circle with 36 designated car parking spaces with planted borders and lawns. To the south of Edward King House is an enclosed formal garden comprising lawn and planted borders. The adjoining chapel is accessed via an entrance corridor from the main reception within Edward King House. It has a low pitched leaded roof with crenellated parapet, coved eaves and pointed arch windows with hoodmolds. There is a Gardener’s store/workshop at lower ground floor level. Bishops Palace (The Stable Block and Remains) The property is roofless except for the former stables and Alnwick Tower which we understand was restored in 1838. The Tower is of three storey stone construction with crenellated parapet. The former Stables are of dressed stone beneath pitched slate covered roofs of Tudor Revival style with elliptical headed carriage openings and flat headed mullion windows with hoodmolds. Internally, the former Stables provides a combination of offices and a retail shop on the ground floor with offices to the first floor.
Strictly by appointment only with the Sole Agent, Savills.
The property is situated in the Cathedral and City Centre Conservation Area within the historic ‘uphill’ district of the city centre, immediately to the south of Lincoln Cathedral. Vehicular access to the property is via Greestone Place, off Minster Yard, within close proximity of Wragby Road (A1434). The property occupies a mixed use location being within the heart of the tourist quarter of the city. Nearby occupiers include The Old Palace Hotel, within the converted former Church of St Michael on the Mount and Lincoln College of Art & Design, both accessed off Christ’s Hospital Terrace. The property has a commanding position adjacent to Lincoln cathedral, benefitting from sweeping views over the city, given its elevated position on a south facing hillside.
Edward King House
Lincoln Central (0.5 miles)
Hykeham (3.8 miles)
Saxilby (5.9 miles)