The Howells building area extends to approximately 275,000 sq ft comprising an array of building forms, including the original 1800’s stone façade fronting St Mary Street, 1909-designed square building on the corner of St Mary Street and Wharton Street, the Bethany Baptist Chapel situated in the middle of the building and a variety of more modern infill development. The property is currently configured as a large retail department store in part open-plan layout and part knocked-through adjacent buildings across six floors The property is primarily occupied by House of Fraser (now part of the Sports Direct International Plc), currently in c.227,000 sq ft; the Borough Arms public house occupies an c 2,500 sq ft over basement and ground floor fronting St Mary Street. Wallace Properties Ltd (in administration) began implementing the redevelopment plans for the property, which involved sub-dividing the property. Areas of House of Fraser’s occupation were handed back, c.46,000 sq ft, which are currently vacant and some basic strip out works completed.
- Landmark Grade II* listed department store
- c.275,000 sq ft GIA
- Significant city centre asset management and redevelopment opportunity
- £45,000 p.a. passing rent